I would like to thank Sam P. for pointing out the error on the map. After speaking with some folks who recreate on the sandbar, I have created a new map that I've asked Creative Loafing editors to run as a correction when they return to work on Monday. (If I could post it in this comment, I would.) The point on the map where those people say they hang out is, according to Google Maps' measuring tool, 797 feet away from the #5 marker on the map in the article.
As someone who also hangs out on the lake, though not on the sandbar -- as Sam P. pointed out, I don't seem welcomed there -- I have witnessed people recreating in the area of the #5 marker and have video footage of people hanging out there. I have also encountered several fishermen in that cove on several occasions.
My goal as a journalist is to inform, not to do any of the negative things Sam P. suggested. I am always happy to correct an article when warranted and welcome future correction suggestions.
With that, I will say that I am disappointed by the tone of Sam P.'s comments and the other accusations that he made which are unwarranted and mean-spirited. And, to correct him, the city has only commented on the treated drinking water, not on the safety of the sandbar or the sediment in the lake. To my knowledge, no one from the city, county, state or federal government is studying the sediment in the lake or the composition of the sandbar.
What I think would be good is if both NCDEQ and independent researchers conducted studies at the sandbar to clarify this issue.
Rhiannon is a seasoned environmental journalist. She is founder, producer and director of the documentary Coal Ash Chronicles and is known as the Coal Ash Queen. So yeah, I'd say she's pretty much an authority on the subject matter. #Bye
That's not the point chubs. The point is this is supposed to be a reporter or at least someone that is educated but it's convenient to stretch false things and misrepresent facts if it fits the goal . But I'm cool to go back and swim there and I'm sure hundred or so of us will be out this weekend and the city says it's safe so go ahead and come out . Meet us at the spot on this map first tho so you can see what a dumbass peice of shit this story is ok
So if you were swimming 1000 more feet away from where i dump acid into the water - tell me genius, are you going to keep swimming? Your logic is childish to call out something so trivial. Do some homework you sped case. Gosh, I hate uneducated dumbasses like you - use google you moron there is no excuse in this day and age for being so stupid!
Whatever high school intern wrote this story is lying about where the sandbar is actually it is at least another 1000 feet north out of that tiny picture but I guess nobody cares if you complain about environmental stuff
God help us all in Pageland, SC. Tim Griffin, Tim Cody, Tim Aldridge just to name some of his alias are destroying this small town. Still seeing the same posts like misappropriating funds, bullying, stealing, and absolute fraud. Tim doesn't have a A valid drivers license and it was Meil that watched his lover suffer not Kevin. It's all Public Record just look it up! That poor man Kevin is so innocent!!!!
It's a wonderful thing increase,it will help revenue and also put are historical city on the map.places must change with change comes expansion.
Okay...Nascar Fans that are male and females: Let's be fair in compared Danica to all the other drivers in the Sport. Let's compare here to Stewart-Hass team mates. In the best of the best equipment she is barely better than Tony is after he's gotten older been broken up a few times in the last couple of years, etc. So, technically she's number 4 in the team. The Simple problem is she did not stay in Jr Motorsports long enough to learn anything...nuff said
Keep up your dreams darling. I am an inner city school teacher and your story is inspiring. I thought I recognized you from the Gold bond commercials with Shaq. I actually thought I spoke to you briefly at a Perfect 10 modeling function. Don't ever give up on your dreams. The reason im not. State Trooper today which was always my dream, is because one of my ex-girlfriend three years after we broke up on bad terms told me she was drugged and raped.I beat the guy with in an inch of his life and made him felt what it was like to be scared and helplessness. I think your organization is amazing and please keep up the good work. You rock babe!!!
Send me a friend request on Facebook :Brendan WB Reed.
Blessings to you
Here's the bottom line about DP, her on track performance doesn't match the hype and media attention that she receives. It has nothing to do with her sex, it has everything to do with the media continuing to fawn over her despite the lack of her success in Nascar. Never has someone done so little with so much!
But keep in mind that I am a racist and sexist prick when you read my comments. Trump 2016!
Anitia hill did lie, i have never heard anyone express the idea that Nicole Simpson got what she deserved. Hillary is a corrupt as a politician can possibly be and likely a criminal. The most sexist politician since sufferage is Bill clinton, who is literally the textbook definition of secual harassment, likely even a rapist. Danica Patrick and I have something in common. Neither of us has ever won a NASCAR race. The difference between us is I have never been in a race. All of the other drivers you mentioned have done something Patrick hasn't managed. They've won races.patrick has a job for one reason only. She is an attractive woman.
Win a race.? Won't happen. Using her gender to inspire kids? Potty mouth, bikini model. Hardly inspiring.
Maybe this is meant as a humor column. It certainly bears no resemblance to reality. "What Patrick really needs now is a win." What I really need now is to win $50 million in the lottery. "The day Patrick finally wins a Sprint Cup race will draw tremendous media attention." The author apparently believes that Danica is actually capable of winning a race, even though she has not shown the slightest inkling of the ability to do so.
She may not be the worst driver in NASCAR, but most (males) who fail to perform at her level are searching for rides long before matters go as far as they have with Danica. The only reason she is still around is that she has used her self-described feminine attributes to attract sponsors, at the same time more promising drivers of both genders toil at lower levels or leave the sport. That is the true unfairness of the treatment Danica receives. She gets patience in abundance because she brings in money to SHR. Write about that Mr. Chadwin!
I remember when lil princess sparkle pony came into the cup series.. at the announcement, when asked about what she planned for the season... she answered we are going to win a race and make the chase. she has not even come close to either of those things. I feel sorry for all the CC's and crew guys that have to deal with constant whiny and her blame game. she cant and wont take responsibility for anything that happens. if it wasnt for the $$$ behind her, she would be an after thought... trying to make a living in lower level sportscar racing.
Put simply, Danica is a below average stock car driver on her best day, with above average funding. Unfortunately the latter has become more important as the sport has grown, to the point where drivers are chosen solely based on how much $ they can bring to the table. The old saying of Cup having 'the best 43 drivers (stock car) in the world' has never been less true than it is today (nevermind the fact that there's only 40 now).
Regarding her talents behind the wheel, she has an inability to communicate technically what she needs done to the car, leaving her CC to practically throw darts. This was also the case is IndyCar where her Andretti teammates were forced to set up her car for her as she was unable to do it herself. It's also why she moves onto a new one almost every year, leaving 2 Eurys, Gibson and Knost in her wake of mediocrity.
I remember at Phoenix in the fall of 2014 she was amazed to learn that adding/reducing wedge and 'turning the jack bolt' are the same thing. Then at the 2015 D500 she had to be told both in the Shootout and 500 that an Oil Temp of 290 is perfectly fine, and then got mad when her CC wouldn't take tape off the car (he didn't need to). Those are just 2 examples of very basic things that drivers learn in the 1st year in a stock car, yet she had gone several years oblivious to them.
Then there's her perpetual victim mentality coupled with almost always passing the blame onto others. How many other drivers have threatened to kick another in the balls just for racing them hard (as she did to Bowman)? Or wrecked themselves twice because they can't drive a loose racecar and then go up to the deemed offender (Hamlin) and shake them like a rag doll? How many males would get away with such antics with 0 retribution (either on track or off)?
This ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwyueQkHCts ) video when she missed pit-in, got a speeding penalty and missed her box at Dega is just another example of long dossier of what I'm talking about. Just like she wrecked Menard at Dega this year after she was about to miss her pit entrance and then proceeded to blame it on the team for not 'giving her priority' on the radio.
She whines all race long about drivers who she deems to be 'in her way' and references 'damn lappers' repeatedly, completely forgetting that she's usually one herself. At Kansas she actually had the gall to say how much the 78 'sucks' and how she 'hates racing with him', but the best part is that she said it as he was lapping her and dominating the race.
She claimed that Gibson was holding her back and requested that she get a new crew chief. Meanwhile, Gibson goes over to Kurt (along with her chassis(s) that she struggled in) and promptly wins two races and makes the Chase, while she continued to struggle with his CC and chassis(s). She did the same thing to Knost, and thus far her results are the same with her next soon-to-be-fired CC, finally getting her first top 15 of the year compliments of attrition at Dover. The same was true in Indycar, where she had a new lead engineer or strategist in practically every season she raced (despite having no idea of how to setup the cars herself).
Maybe, just maybe, Danica needs to put take a bigger responsibility behind the wheel, and up her work ethic. There were rumours that her NXS CC Eury JR was fired for questioning it years ago, and nothing has changed since then. I don’t know how much taking photos on the beach or in yoga poses helps you at the track, and the results are indicative of that. Driving a racecar isn’t just a weekend hobby like she’s done her entire life, her competition is always doing something to improve while she’s off having fun.
The common denominator to her struggles in her career isn't the equipment, the crew chief or her crew, it's the driver behind the wheel. Sooner or later she’s going to run out of people/things to blame, and the only person left will be in yoga prose with a dumbfounded look on their face.
Dean, You may want to consider writing articles about food/drink, the Charlotte social scene, anything other than NASCAR. Not an accurate article by any means. Perhaps you may want to go the track this weekend and talk to real fans and get their opinion about DP. This appears to be an article that was written to provoke true fans.
You can always tell the journalists who are hanging by a thread. They tend to post stories they know nothing about but know it will get a rise out of knowledgeable people and make them feel like they're doing great reporting. My recommendation...speak not what you know nothing about.
Oh Dave.....You need help...you're a sick puppy.. get a life. HaHaHaHaHa
Darn it, this writing could’ve been a great work if not for some inexcusable presumptuous inclusions!
There are several dimensions to the above statement:
1. Liberal Politics: It is unnecessary and degrading to the audience and the purported cause/subject to presume it’s okay to put, Hillary Clinton—a proven liar—on the same level or even within the same space of consideration in any way to, Danica Patrick—a totally wonderful hard working person that has done nothing to earn the scathing hate you so eloquently point to in your, possibly, ruined work.
• Injecting your political, therefore untrue feminist biases of a weird election and its participants, and crystal ball projections of its outcome makes one wonder whether you’re a little sanctimonious and intellectually dishonest here. Listen, at least this Danica Patrick fan is not angry about women that are liars, being ridiculed to vet them from having power over us/me. I/we are angry about Danica Patrick being ridiculed, as you so eloquently state, unfairly. It’s maddening because she’s an earnest, hardworking individual that is only set upon because she’s female and is good at her craft, and has been successful at getting funding in part for her looks, but mostly for having the guts to use those tools. Simply put, there’s jealousy from some competitors that she has the extra tools for that and a bunch of them can’t beat her in fair competition on the race track either so, their mind numbed followers and parrots blatherskite to no end. Meanwhile some competitors and team owners intentionally wreck her and use her for media hype for themselves and or to draw attention for their teams’ inability to legitimately garner their own attention, respectively (Read, The Petty’s and other commentators on the latter.).
• What happened to presumption of innocence: The inappropriate use of Anita Hill is a clear giveaway to an intellectually dishonest Liberal. Clarence Thomas was in no way ever proven to have done anything inappropriate except to a liberal’s mind. That is, he dared to be black, conservative, and successful; therefore, there is no presumption of innocence for him. On its own, no big deal, however, you had to inject that into Danica’s tough sledding. Danica Patrick is more in Clarence Thomas’s shoes than Anita Hill’s!
• Bad connections: What can be said about the use of Nicole Brown in this? Just that it is, as all the others are, “bad connections”, like only a disingenuous liberal can make them. For crying out loud, a women and her lover were murdered, nothing whatsoever to do with Danica’s daily job realities. The fact is, one screwed up trial does not a good connection make, as they say. Not sure what you’re presuming here: Blacks say she deserved it; black males only; males period. It doesn’t connect, because Danica is catching it unfairly from females too.
2. Feminism vs untrue feminism: You have a big problem presuming Danica as some man hating feminist. She isn’t! She actually loves men and enjoys competing and talking with them. Her thing is more like, she will do what she enjoys, which is racing and sharing, and she won’t stop doing what she enjoys. In other words, Danica is going to be, Danica, whether the untrue feminists like it or any man or woman like it or not – true feminism! As long as Danica is racing and has sponsorship, she has earned it! She, and we fans, deserve fair play and protection from undue hardship from the sabotage of cheating and petty jealousies. Additionally, Danica loves her home making, cooking, and her man, Ricky loving, too.
3. Revelation: In quintessential Danica fan form, I’m jealous of that one myself though I’m old and ugly, but it is our unique Danica fan fantasy entitlement—the little girl wants to be like her, a UFC Champion follows methods proven by her, grown women say I can work-out and look good and eat right, men, sometimes silently, appreciate the sheer grit and determination and aspire to be more determined to get `er done, and yes, some guys even old guys fantasize in a harmless way, I wish I had a women like that. Her worst male and female critics writhe in their own ineptness’ at her every success, which is every minute she stays in print and on TV or doing as she desires, because she, inadvertently, sheds light on their lack of worth, so they lash out for attention, just like the media does, and just like you have done here. Her fans’ dreams as above are her money-maker, and I say she has earned it—she’s just being Danica and doing what she loves! It is not just good-looks and guts, it’s hard work, talent and the determination to keep doing the things that keep her in that place where she can succeed in competition and happiness honestly. The longest line appropriately formed behind her, however, as in high-speed racing’s draft, some try to jump out of her line to get ahead for personal gain using her pull and the naysayers push but mostly suction, but no one goes anywhere. Anytime a Patrick “fan” pulls out of her line for their gain, it reveals the true nature of that entity, which is, they are along for the free ride, and can’t see they hurt all respective causes and they, like the crybaby critics, suck.
Thanks for some real good points about hurdles that sometimes hamper Danica Patrick in her successful journey, but please quit using Danica and her fans for unworthy, unjust, and unconnected causes.
Womack Newspapers, Inc.
Powered by Foundation