Christianity is about accepting Christ (and His teachings). If you study the four Gospels carefully, you will see that Jesus preached repentance and the kingdom of God. Jesus Himself stated, "Except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish". (Luke 13:3)
Yes, God is a God of love but also a God of judgement. If we reject Him and His words, there is nothing left but judgement. The good news is that through accepting Christ we can escape the judgement that is coming upon the world.
So Kim, where are you headed next, or is that classified ?
You and your talent will be missed.
Ahh, thanks Simpsons Fan. Certainly seemed very Hornets-inspired to me.
Stickler here, just wanted to mention that Bart Simpson wearing a purple cape is NOT an homage to the Hornets, its his classic Bartman outfit from the early '90's. http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Bartman
Almost one month and crickets from Ms. Lawson.
Indeed ! Great article!
I'm curious as to your opinion of the law firms that are refusing to represent opponents to gay marriage in various Supreme Court cases.
In case you need background here is a relevant New York Times article that tells the story, and also recounts some famous attorneys who gladly represented "un-progressive" causes. For example, the 1924 Democratic nominee for President was the losing lawyer in Brown vs. Board of Education:
So if you believe "customers can pick businesses, but businesses can't pick customers", are you going to side with GLBTQ in Indiana, but the lawyers who refuse to take on Obergefell v. Hodges?
Amending to add:
With Rand Paul's announcement today that he wants to INCREASE military spending, I will NOT support him in any way for any elected office he seeks. However he is right about Loretta Lynch as articulated above.
Lynch's qualifications (or in reality, lack thereof) have nothing to do with gender or race.
As Rand Paul (REPUBLICAN) has pointed out:
* Lynch was personally responsible for the civil forfeiture of $110 million of citizen assets WITHOUT any charges being filed.
* Lynch supports the idea of the Executive branch usurping immigration powers from the Legislative branch, despite the clear Constitutional language (Article I, Section 8, if you're interested) that grants Congress exclusive power over immigration.
* Lynch demurred when asked during Congressional hearings about the President's alleged power to order the pre-trial (pre-charge, even) assassination of American citizens on US soil.
Didn't liberals used to stand up against such abuses?
Sorry Leo but no person who whores his/herself out to Wackenhut is a "librul" in the classic anti-war pro-civil-liberty sense.
That is the entire point of my first post: that
Oh, please, like you have EVER cared about what's in the statistics you love throwing out. As always, you just want to "stick it" to a CL writer and/or them "damn libruls," pure and simple. Why pretend otherwise?
Yeah so sad that people lost their jobs when Germany stopped building concentration camps. A moment of silence for the girlfriends of unemployed SS guards and gas chamber designers.
I guess the folks raped, beaten, wiretapped, sabotaged and burglarized by Wackenhut aren't "actual people".
The "stupid and heartless" ones here are YOU and the psychopaths at Wackenhut.
And yes I'm a Libertarian because I believe that covert war, drone-bombing, warrantless wiretapping, and brutalizing are wrong whether committed by Hitler, Bush, Obama or someone's boyfriend.
And once again Garth Brooks Vader reveals himself to to be the biggest dickhead commenting on this site. While most people who read this understand that's it a heartfelt piece about actual people dealing with real hardships, this jerk refuses to let that sink in, preferring instead to masturbate over his own ability to dig up statistics like some emotionless computer and completely missing the point of the story. Would it have killed you to preface your long-winded post with something on the order of "Sorry about your troubles"? Actually, it probably would, because in none of your hundreds of tiresome posts have you displayed any compassion or understanding toward anyone or anything. You constantly state you're not a Republican, so you have to be a Libertarian; they're the only ones as stupid and heartless as GOPers.
P.S. Good piece, Kimberly!
Fun facts about your boyfriend's employer:
* George C. Zoley, Chair & CEO of Wackenhut Corrections Corp., was a Bush Pioneer having raised at least $100,000 for Bush in the 2004 presidential election.
* Wackenhut Corp gave $21,600 to federal candidates in the 2006 election through its political action committee - 0% to Democrats and 100% to Republicans.
* Wackenhut is a leader in the private-prison industry.
* Wackenhut guards have repeatedly been accused of raping inmates in Texas, Arkansas and Florida jails
* They have been sued for their treatment of inmates at juvenile facilities in the south, including the horrid beating of a seventeen-year-old wearing a colostomy bag.
* Wackenhut's surveillance services were fined in 1999 by a federal district court in Alabama for illegal wire tapping, theft of business documents and corporate sabotage.
* Wackenhut was involved in illegal US operations in Central America in the 1980s.
* According to former CIA Analyst William Corbett, "For years, Wackenhut has been involved with the CIA and other intelligence organizations, including the Drug Enforcement Agency. Wackenhut would allow the CIA to occupy positions within the company [in order to carry out] clandistine operations."
* "By 1966, Wackenhut could confidently state that it had secret files on 4 million Americans" (SPY Magazine, Sept. 1992)
Mark, I hadn't seen this until today. I really enjoyed your work on CL. I wish you and Tarrah the absolute best. I know CL remains in good hands with terrific people like Ana and Matt Brunson on staff. Again, all the best to you, my friend.
- Arthur Murray
Congrats on the new gig, Kim! Could not have happened to a nicer, more talented person :-)
Can't wait to see what Creative Loafing has to offer next! When I moved here it was the first resource I used to learn where the nightlife was happening, the hottest places to eat and catch up on local news. I've always enjoyed articles and reviews written by Kim Lawson and other CL staff. I can already see the efforts to expand the growth of the Loaf in recent weeks! I couldn't be more excited to see what develops in the future!
Womack Newspapers, Inc.
Powered by Foundation