29. Upscale MySale: With times the way they are (financially sucky, that is), consignment is the way to go if you're looking to add some fashionable fall pieces to your closet at a decent price. One consignment sale you should check out this fall is Upscale MySale, going down in late September just when the weather's starting to cool down a bit and buying a sweater doesn't seem wrong. You can find clothing for men, women, maternity and juniors, accessories, home décor and furniture. With 30,000 square feet of items to choose from, I'm sure you'll find something. Sept. 25-27. Rock Hill Galleria Mall, 2301 David Lyle Blvd., Rock Hill. 803-980-7153. www.upscalemysale.com.
30. Hong Kong Vintage's new location: One of your favorite vintage stores has finally joined the rest of Plaza Midwood by relocating to a spot closer to the center of the neighborhood. A much bigger shop, might we add. The previous Central Avenue location was small and so jam-packed with merchandise that it was hard to really see what valuables HKV offers. Open since June, the new spot is quite spacious and splashed with the store's signature colors, red and black. The vintage clothing hangs on racks against the walls, leaving plenty of room to strategically hunt down the perfect autumn ensemble. 1514 Central Ave. 704-334-0538. www.hongkongvintage.com.
31. Stiletto Girls: Men, when women gather in their kick-ass heels in large numbers, you need not be afraid -- it's just a networking event for the stylish and stiletto-sophisticated. The monthly Stiletto Girls meetup is a great event to attend: cheap martini drink specials, door prizes and the opportunity to explore retail options in the Queen City. For the September event, the vendors organizer Susan Bear will have on hand include The Jewelry Link and Seventy-Two Shoe Boutique. Meetups are held the first Thursday of the month. Free cover. www.meetup.com/Ladies-Night-Stiletto-Girls/.
32. The Heights of Fashion: Platform Shoes Then and Now: This exhibit is for lovers of the platform shoe -- or those who've seen them and wondered, "How does a person walk in those things?" The collection -- proving that the platform shoe was popular way before (and after) disco was alive -- contains shoes from all periods and walks of life. Spice Girls, anyone? Through spring 2010. $5-$10. Mint Museum of Art, 2730 Randolph Road. 704-337-2000. www.mintmusem.org.
33. Plaid mini-skirts at Kitsch-Y Cool Vintage: According to Arlene Goldstein, vice president of trend merchandising and fashion direction at Belk, plaid is coming back for the fall. Hello Britney Spears school girl outfits! The best place to find anything plaid at a low cost is Kitsch-Y Cool Vintage at the Sleepy Poets Antique Mall. Their plaid mini-skirts start at the low, "Oops-I-did-it-again" price of $4. Kitsch-Y Cool Vintage in Sleepy Poet Antique Mall, 4450 South Blvd. 704-529-6369.
34. Ornate ties at Rat's Nest: Whether you're in the corporate world of straight-laced suits or you walk on the wild side of style, these funky-patterned ties from The Rat's Nest are an absolute necessity this season -- especially at the low cost of $8. The more colorful and excessive the design, the better. And women, feel free to jump on this bandwagon -- the ornate tie will look good on you, too. The Rat's Nest, 442 E. 36th St. 704-371-3599.
35. Southern Women's Show: Will Southern belles unite in September for a yearly hoedown at the old Charlotte Merchandise Mart? Not quite. The Southern Women's Show is your opportunity to take in all things women love, even if you are a Yankee: cooking and lifestyle tips, shopping, fashion shows, and free stuff. Of course, you'll probably be most excited to learn that Kate Gosselin of the Jon & Kate Plus 8 fame (and drama) will be a celebrity guest. Also, the number of vendors set to be at this shindig is crazy -- buy your advance tickets now. Sept 17-20. $5-$9. The Park (formerly the Charlotte Merchandise Mart), 2500 E. Independence Blvd. www.southernshows.com/wch.