Each week, The Social Eater picks a handful of filter-friendly, tweetable, social media-shareable foodie events in and around the city. No #struggleplates allowed.
* Threatened by a surprise thunderstorm last week, the Mint Museum rescheduled its Party in the Park to this Tuesday. So if you haven't already registered, you have a second chance to fill up on art, music, cinema and culinary treats all in the same place. Enjoy outdoor games and live music on the lawn or head inside for a stroll through the museum's permanent collections and special exhibitions. At dusk, park your blanket under the stars for an outdoor viewing of How to Train Your Dragon. Feel free to pack a picnic or pick up something from King of Pops, e2, Dan the Pig Man or Chef Street Bistro, who will all be present. #artsyparksy Free with suggested donation of $10 June 3, 6:30 p.m. Film showing at dusk. Mint Museum Randolph, 2730 Randolph Road. Pre-registration preferred: http://www.mintmuseum.org/happenings/477/third-annual-party-in-the-park
* When I read the title for the Uptown Progressive Dinner Crawl without the description, I pictured impassioned discussions about social justice and GMOs over a meal in a swanky penthouse condo. I mean, your conversation could go there by the end of the night, but the reality sounds a lot less pretentious. Diners start at The Asbury for registration and appetizers, then progress (get it?) as a group to different restaurants for each course of a full meal. An after-party follows at a to-be-decided location. It's just like a bar crawl, but less taxing on your liver ... which sounds like my kinda party. #climatechange $40 per person, $75 per couple June 6, 6:30 p.m. - 11:30 p.m. The Asbury, 235 N Tryon St. Advance tickets suggested: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/uptown-progressive-dinner-crawl-tickets-11621559397
* Taste of Charlotte is sure to attract a crowd as usual this weekend, but organizers are adding a little something extra this year. You'd think frosting and physical activity would make strange bedfellows, but the Corona Light Race to the Taste 5K and Cupcake Run/Walk puts a tasty twist on the traditional morning run. While snaking their way through Uptown, Cupcake Walkers will get to snack on cupcakes at stations along the route. Runners will be rewarded at the end with a Super Token good for any food item at the festival. You can register for either event or both. A good run followed by a sugar-fueled cooldown sounds deliciously counterproductive, but it's for a good cause - the races benefit the Charlotte Checkers Charitable Foundation. #sugarfoot Free to watch, $33-$55 to participate June 7, 9 a.m. Uptown Charlotte, race begins at 4th and Church streets. Registration required to race: http://tasteofcharlotte.com/page.cfm?ID=46
* When one of my favorite DJs moved away last year, I thought it meant the end of Purple Music, a sultry celebration of Prince's birthday. Thankfully, DJ Rsenal is making his way back to Soul Gastrolounge on Saturday for an always-killer set of classics and deep cuts with DJ Andy K. It's also Negroni Week, so the bar is serving four special versions of the Campari cocktail, each made with a different signature gin. From the bar to the sushi to the music on deck, Soul never disappoints. So trust me: come hang out with the beautiful ones while starfish and coffee are on the menu. #releasethedoves Free June 7, 9:30 p.m.-2 a.m. Soul Gastrolounge, 1500 Central Ave.
* If you've seen her work or ever danced the night away at one of her events, you know local photographer Jasiatic has good taste. The skills extend from the studio to the kitchen for a dessert edition of her Satisfy vegan dinner party series, appropriately called ... Taste! She'll be sampling multiple flavors of her new dessert jars and providing libations and good company to boot. The guest list is small and intimate, but if you make it on, be prepared to have all your senses expanded. #summerjam $10 minimum donation June 9, 6 p.m. Location to be shared after RSVPing, required by June 3: firstname.lastname@example.org
Catch Dani's adventures and ramblings, foodie and otherwise, at kinkythought.com or PinterTwitTumblGram @kinkythought