The Social Eater
#hashtaghungry: Fire in the City, Craft Chicks Hustle Harder, more
Each week, The Social Eater picks a handful of filter-friendly, tweetable, social media-shareable foodie events in and around the city. Albeit a little late, here's this week's. No #struggleplates allowed.
• When food competition shows started to get popular, I thought they were dumb because you couldn’t taste the food at home to judge along. Several years of Chop’d bingeing later, you can finally get your Chris Santos on at Fire in the City, a multi-round North Carolina chef competition series. Blind-taste a six-course menu, each featuring a mystery ingredient, from the finest chefs in Charlotte as they compete in a bracket competition through the end of September. The first few rounds are sold out but the competitions last through the end of next month. You have time! #firefire $74.78 Aug. 18 - Sept. 29 6 p.m.-10 p.m. Bonterra Dining & Wine Room, 1829 Cleveland Ave. Advance tickets required. For lineup and purchase visit http://www.competitiondining.com/events/fire-in-the-city
• If you’re itching to join farmersonly.com but lack a green enough thumb, this could be your chance to slip in the back door. Earthy nonprofit Sow Much Good is hiring for their farmers market. Show up with your resume for an on-the-spot interview and lower the unemployment rate while you increase your karma. #getthiswork Free. Aug. 20, 3-7 p.m. SMG Urban Farm and Market, 3400 Sunset Road.
• Triple C Brewing is celebrating its two-year anniversary with two days of festivities this weekend. Friday sees the tapping of three select celebratory beers, with more releases and a slew of fun following on Saturday. Munch on barbecue from Sauceman’s while enjoying rockin’ blues from Mojo Ruckus and bluegrass 80’s covers from Love Canon #tapthat Free. Aug. 22-23. Triple C Brewing, 2900 Griffith St.
• Not to be outdone, Heist is also celebrating its 2nd anniversary this weekend. In addition to a number of small batch releases and music from Josh Daniels & the Mark Schimick Project, there’ll be a bouncy house and “a huge water balloon fight” outside. A beer-ballon fight has always sounded like it could be a good idea… I’m just saying it might not be a bad idea to test it out. But you didn’t get that from me. #bustsuds Free. Aug. 23. 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Heist Brewery, 2909 N Davidson St. #200
• Disappointed in your last batch of home-brew? You might’ve left out the estrogen. Craft Chicks Hustle Harder celebrates female beer professionals with a veritable Lilith Fair of beer. There’s a women’s homebrew competition, artisans selling wares and Chef Tara will be on hand cooking up tasty bites from the Bleu Barn Bistro along with Chef Rochelle from Q.C. Pantry. Your ticket is good for bites and one complimentary beer. The event benefits the Pink Boots Society, which helps female brewers advance their careers. It ain’t just a man’s world! #ladydate $10 Aug. 23, 2-8 p.m. Unknown Brewing, 1327 S Mint St.