Check out these events going down in Charlotte and the surrounding area this weekend — as selected by the folks at Creative Loafing.
Friday, Aug. 12
Gonzo: A Brutal Chrysalis
Citizens of the Universe wants to honor author/journalist Hunter S. Thompson in its latest production of Paul Addis’ original Gonzo: A Brutal Chrysalis. Directed by Chris O’Neil and starring COTU’s James Cartee, the one-man show tells Thompson’s life story between the years 1968 and 1970 — after his years on the road with a motorcycle gang and the release of his Hell’s Angels. Taking on controversial projects related to Richard Nixon, the DNC and the Kentucky Derby, Thompson pens another read — Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas — based on his experiences using drugs and tripping his way through the Sin City.
• Music The main goals of the locally organized Recess Fest is to shed light on bands and musicians in the area, but also to give folks with a busy schedule a play time. Over the course of three days 30 local and touring bands will perform across nine venues, spaces and houses in the Q.C. Tonight kicks off with The Light Factory’s Short Film Showcase at 8 p.m., followed by music at 9:15 p.m. more...
• Comedy Stand-up comedian Paul Hooper — performing at The Comedy Zone Charlotte tonight — is known for thought provoking, politically incorrect comedy that slams society, and himself in the process. more...
Saturday, Aug. 13
Queen City Comedy Throwdown
The Chop Shop
This newbie venue becomes a shelter for laughter today as the Queen City Comedy Throwdown — a benefit event for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation — is set to go down. Improv, sketch and stand-up will be provided by Charlotte-area comedy groups and comedians, including Charlotte Comedy Theater, Gorilla Preschool, Noah Lemmons, Kayter Malik, Eric McCrickard, Chris O, Over The Counter Improv, Robot Johnson, Shawn Sluder, Will Spann and Brian Zarbock.
• Film The Main Library’s summer series Shakespeare At The Movies continues this week with a screening of the 1971’s Macbeth. The film — full of bloody, action-packed and supernatural surprises — was directed by Roman Polanski and stars Jon Finch as Macbeth and Francesca Annis as Lady Macbeth. more...
• Nightlife Ouzo Productions’ Global Fever nightlife events put us in the mood of the many atmospheres we wish we could actually be in. This Saturday’s edition represents Athens, Greece. DJ’s Kosta X and DIM will spin worldly vibes from the Mediterranean and beyond. more...
Sunday, Aug. 14
Exhibit “A” Craft Fair
The recently opened Greenhorn Studios is a place where local talents gather for the purposes of teaching music and art to folks of all ages. The product of those creative forces will undoubtedly be unveiled during the studios’ debut craft fair, titled Exhibit “A.” It’s set to display the works of local Charlotte area artists who specialize in painting, ceramics, jewelry and knitting, among other forms of mediums.
• Music The Pennsylvania crew, Farewell Flight's piano-caressed melodic pop is quite radio-friendly. That's not to say it isn't carefully crafted and finely pressed, because it is, and the songs pack a loving punch, saunter about for a spell and comfortably linger. They're a work in progress worth tracking. more...
• Food Kabobs and gyros can be found at Greco Fresh Grille. But, it also offers delicious spanakopitas, hand-cut fries with lemon and oregano, and a glorious galaktoboureko (custard dessert both sweet and soothing). more...
Delette Nycum was my great-grandmother.
Goddamn this town is a drag.
His voice just creeps me out. That is all.