1. Robot Monster (1953). One of the worst movies ever made (no, really), this finds the alien Ro-Man (a guy in a gorilla suit and diving helmet) trying to destroy the last humans on Earth.
2. On the Beach (1959). Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner and a pre-Psycho Anthony Perkins star in this thoughtful film about the aftermath of nuclear war, and the drama surrounding the remaining people waiting for the fallout to drift their way.
3. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). "We'll meet again. Don't know where, don't know when," croons Vera Lynn as Slim Pickens rides that bomb into oblivion.
4. Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970). The worst of the five films in the Planet of the Apes series admittedly has a fantastic ending.
5. Gas! Or, It Became Necessary to Destroy the World in Order to Save It (1970). In this Roger Corman counterculture cheapie, a mysterious gas kills everyone over the age of 25. Far out!
6. Dawn of the Dead (1978). George Romero's horror classic posits that tomorrow's shuffling zombies aren't really all that different from today's mindless consumers at the local mall.
7. Meteor (1979). A typical '70s disaster flick, this all-star idiocy finds a gargantuan piece of space rock preparing to crash into our planet. Can scientist Sean Connery save the day?
8. Night of the Comet (1984). The end of the world, '80s-style, as two big-hair Valley Girls (Catherine Mary Stewart and Kelli Maroney) deal with the apocalypse by shopping for outfits - when they're not contending with flesh-eating zombies and villainous scientists.
9. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012). In this irresistible gem, Steve Carell and Keira Knightley find each other in the nick of time.
10. The Cabin in the Woods (2012). No spoilers; just trust us.
I read every comment, I found the discourse interesting, ridiculous, uplifting and scary. For those…
He tries so hard to be cool and hip and different that his music is…
Yes, very weird indeed. Are you thinking of making a list for Augusta or have…