As promised, the Comic Afterthoughts blog is here to provide what we consider to be the best pieces of news from the San Diego Comic-Con. Take a look below, and let us know what you think is the winner of the event.
1) Early in the con, we saw a peek of Ben Affleck in his Batman cowl. But two bigger offerings came out of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice during the event. The first one was a short teaser that had a big impact. In a scene that appears ripped out of Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, Batman appears in padded suit, gearing up to face the Man of Steel. The video continues to be uploaded and taken off YouTube; search around and you might get lucky.
2) Second from Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice was the reveal of Wonder Woman. The muted coloring on the suit, along with the inclusion of high heels, has polarized fans. Gal Gadot portrays Wonder Woman in the upcoming film, and we at least know that she’s nailed down the required intensity. Take a look at the costume below, and decide for yourself if you think they’ve done the Amazon justice.
3) The Avengers: Age of Ultron also stole headlines with the debut of new footage from the film and Josh Brolin’s entrance with an Infinity Gauntlet in hand. Footage reportedly included the Avengers comically taking turns in trying to pick up Thor’s hammer, action shots of Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, Iron Man’s Hulkbuster Armor taking on the Hulk himself, and a shattered shield of the First Avenger. None of it has been released to the public yet.
4) Antman appeared earlier in the same panel. A CG scene was shown, but the biggest news was the casting of Corey Stoll as Darren Cross/Yellowjacket and Evangeline Lilly as Hope Van Dyne. Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas appeared at the con, discussing their roles as Scott Lang and Scott Pym, respectively.
5) One of the biggest non-comic films of the con was Mad Max. George Miller has returned with the fourth installment to his post-apocalyptic film series. Tom Hardy now takes the lead role, and the gorgeous trailer was released to everyone this morning. Try not to get excited after this one.
6) Star Wars made an appearance at the event, but not in the way that you’d think. Marvel will release multiple comics based on the franchise next year. Books include Star Wars: Darth Vader (from Kieron Gillen and Salvador Larroca), Star Wars: Princess Leia (from Mark Waid and artist Terry Dodson), and Star Wars, with the creative team of Jason Aaron and John Cassaday.
7) While the announcement of Godzilla 2 was exciting (but expected), the giant monster that won the con was King Kong. Legendary Entertainment will release a new King Kong movie titled Skull Island in 2016. The film will focus on the creature-filled island where Kong dwells.
8) Cyclops continues as an ongoing series, but the creative line-up changes to writer John Layman and artist Javier Garron. The new take pushes the space opera theme even further, with the teenage version of the X-Men leader continuing to work side-by-side with the Starjammers. This one’s personal for Comic Afterthoughts.
9) Guardians of the Galaxy 2 has been confirmed for 2017. But that still leaves a bunch of spots in Marvel’s recently announced movie slate for the next couple years. Hopefully, more film news will be released soon. Footage from an upcoming animated series depicting the Guardians was also shown at a panel.
10) Casting news for the new Game of Thrones season includes Alexander Siddig as Prince Doran of Dorne, Jessica Henwick as Oberyn’s daughter, Nymeria, Nell Tiger Free as Myrcella Baratheon, and Jonathan Pryce as High Sparrow.
Thank you so much for writing this article. Virginia Dale Paxton was my great grandmother,…
Well written. Gloria is an amazing person, as are all these freedom fighters. They give…
Here's another thought. The other two weren't from NC. This being a NC news site…