Here are the five best events going down in Charlotte and the surrounding area today, April 15, 2014 as selected by the folks at Creative Loafing.
* Blue Man Group at Belk Theater
* People's Blues of Richmond at Roux
* Craft Cocktail Series at Bubble
* Bill Hanna Jazz Jam at Double Door Inn
* $3 Craft Beer Night at VBGB
Here are the five best events going down in Charlotte and the surrounding area today, April 13, 2014 as selected by the folks at Creative Loafing.
* Demetri Martin at The Fillmore
* Capital Cities at UNC Charlotte's Halton Arena
* Jillian Michaels at Knight Theater
* Scottish Festival and Loch Norman Highland Games at Rural Hill
* North Mecklenburg Animal Rescue Music Fest at NoDa Brewing Company
Here are the five best events going down in Charlotte and the surrounding area today, April 12, 2014 as selected by the folks at Creative Loafing.
* Desert Noises at Evening Muse
* Color Vibe 5k at Concord Mills
* Charlotte Roller Girls vs. Kannapolis Roller Girls at Grady Cole Center
* Charlotte Food Fight in South End
* Charlotte Neighborhoods Tour in Biddleville
Here are the five best events going down in Charlotte and the surrounding area today, April 11, 2014 as selected by the folks at Creative Loafing.
* Paula Poundstone at Wingate University's Batte Center
* R & J at UpStage
* Bauhaus: Model and Myth at Bechtler Museum of Modern Art
* Rave in Paint at Phoenix
* Charlotte Symphony: All Russian at Belk Theater
Going out in Charlotte doesn't have to be expensive. In fact, to prove that statement, we've compiled a list of cheap things to do in the Q.C. this weekend. These events may vary, but they're all entertaining and they won't break your bank (piggy banks excluded).
Spring Fling at Aloft Ballantyne Hotel: Bring a canned good for free admission to this event that benefits the Second Harvest Food Bank. Entertainment includes a fashion show, a DJ, Roaming Fork food truck, and a cash bar with drink specials. April 11, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Aloft Ballantyne Hotel, 13139 Ballantyne Corporate Place.
Smurf Pop All Blue Paint Party at Bar Charlotte: As the venue's flyer states, "come in white and leave in blue." Free blue LED glow sticks, CO2 blasts, confetti cannons and drink specials ($2 beers and $5 vodka energy drinks). April 11. Free admission before 11 p.m. Bar Charlotte, 300 N. College St. 704-342-2545. www.barcharlotte.com.
Here are the five best events going down in Charlotte and the surrounding area today, April 10, 2014 as selected by the folks at Creative Loafing.
* Tao: Phoenix Rising at Knight Theater
* Charlotte Checkers vs. Grand Rapids Griffins at Time Warner Cable Arena
* Shiprocked at Snug Harbor
* Thirsty Thursday at Birdsong Brewery
* Annual Juried Student Show at CPCC
Michael Jackson The Immortal World Tour by Cirque du Soleil
Time Warner Cable Arena
April 8, 2014
Nothing and no one can perform like Jackson could, so it had a lot to live up to as Jackson fans shuffled into Time Warner Cable Arena on Tuesday night. The show touts 3D and holographic video technology that will amaze and make it feel like Jackson is in the room. So, as the lights go down, anticipation builds.
The Immortal World Tour starts out with Michael, as expected - sort of. Five Jacksons appear on the stage. They are "super fans" who start the show by having a dance off with their best MJ moves before going on a spray-painting rampage via a giant LED screen cityscape. "Working Day and Night" gets the show going, and it grinds to a heart stopping halt as the five Jackson's on stage produce an iconic image of Michael. It's hard to have a Michael Jackson show without the man himself, but stunts like this (along with some carefully selected video clips) could maybe fool you. But just maybe.
It's clear from the start though that this isn't a rock concert. With elements of Cirque, there's just no way. But where Cirque can veer dangerously, at times, toward becoming a circus act, Immortal actually avoids that pitfall by toning down all of the usual flipping in favor of focusing on the man and, of course, his dance moves.
Here are the five best events going down in Charlotte and the surrounding area today, April 9, 2014 as selected by the folks at Creative Loafing.
* Todd Rundgren at Neighborhood Theatre
* Stretch & Sip at The Oak Room
* Corn Hole Tournament at Whisky River
Check out these art events, happening this week in Charlotte and the surrounding area.
Student Art Auction at Winthrop University: This one-night-only shindig features an art market with original works by Winthrop students and alumni. More importantly, the event will feature a portrait battle, a video art showcase, a live auction, live music (Hungry Girl, Moenda, and Legggs) and food & booze (wine and beer). Free admission. April 11, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. The Courtroom at Gettys, 201 E. Main St., Rock Hill.
Slow Art Day: As you can probably imagine, this event isn't about browsing at a fast pace through galleries. It's about stopping to stare and reflect on artwork before congregating with others to decipher hidden (or obvious) messages. If this sounds like fun to you, then you'll want to head to one or more of the participating locations which includes CPCC, Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts and Mint Museum (Randolph and Uptown). Free with museum admission. April 12, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. For more information, visit www.slowartday.com.
Here are the five best events going down in Charlotte and the surrounding area today, April 8, 2014 as selected by the folks at Creative Loafing.
* Cirque du Soleil's Michael Jackson The Immortal World Tour at Time Warner Cable Arena
* NC Beer Month: Charlotte Kickoff Party at Growlers Pourhouse
* Taco & Trivia Tuesday at Solstice Tavern
* $3 Craft Beer Night at VBGB Beer Hall & Garden
* Shannon Lee at Evening Muse
Gracie: Where, in any of this, did you see anyone saying prices could not be…
I have an idea to keep rich people and special interests from buying elections. My…
Simple truth: If you are saying that the voter registrations should be compared to death…
Of course there is voter fraud. Liberals refuse to pull their heads out of the…
there sure is a lot of conservatives who claim to know what America is supposed…
just another scumbag 'job creator' - raise the minimum wageto $15 hour tomorrow!