The Deal: Buzz for new mixtape from DMV front runner trends World wide on Twitter and gives nod to his previous mixtape, The Mixtape About Nothing.
The Good: Completely obliterated my modest expectations.
Lyrically, Wale is getting stronger and seems to be spitting with a keen understanding of who his original audience and the new people that listen to him now for his punchlines and innuendo.
I'm never against flipping Lenny Kravitz into something more hip-hop like he did on "The Get Away (Fly Away)"
Cleverly integrated Seinfeld quotes to not only move the mixtape along but to set the theme of songs. Nice touch.
"The Soup," "The Friends N Strangers," and "The Black N Gold" are pretty much can't miss.
The Bad: A lot of material to digest, makes me worry about how much of it will end up on his second studio album.
The Verdict: For a mixtape supposedly about nothing, Wale had a lot to say. Some fans will complain that they wish the album was more like this but those who realize what he's doing know there's a big difference between album and mixtape material, even though the gap is closing.
Roc Nation; Release date: Aug. 3, 2010
Tracklist (Production Credit):
01. The Problem (produced by DJ Omega & Kosmik)
02. The MC (produced by Mark Henry)
03. The Soup (produced by Best Kept Secret)
04. The Breeze (Cool) w/ Wiz Khalifa + Tre of UCB (produced by Mark Henry)
05. The Friends N Strangers w/ Tre of UCB (produced by Kosmik)
06. The Number Won (Competition) (produced by Bassheads)
07. The Eyes of The Tiger (produced by Tone P)
08. The War w/ Daniel Merriweather (produced by Bassheads)
09. The Break Up Song (produced by Anlo)
10. The Work (Workin) (produced by Yogi)
11. The Black N Gold w/ Sam Sparro (produced by DJ Omega & Kosmik)
12. The Manipulation, Pt. 2 (produced by Kosmik)
13. KD Interlude
14. The Posse Cut (Who Don't) w/ Fat Tre & Black Cobain (produced by Kosmik)
15. The Guilty Pleasure (No Hands) w/ Wake Flocka & Roscoe Dash (produced by Drumma Boy)
16. The Trip (Downtown) (produced by DJ Omega & Kosmik)
17. The Ambitious Girl (produced by Osinachi)
18. The Motivation (Be Right) w/ Dre from Cool & Dre (produced by Cool & Dre)
19. The Cloud w/ Tiara Thomas (produced by Tiara Thomas)
20. The Power w/ Avery Storm (produced by Osinachi)
21. The Get Away (Fly Away) w/ Northeast Groovers (produced by Best Kept Secret)
I am giving a testimony of how i become rich and famous today... i was…
The bands were good and did their part of making a good show. I was…