Representing: The Sol Kitchen
Position: Founder of The Sol Kitchen/event coordinator/marketing strategist/DJ
Number of years in the CI party game: 10 and counting. "Every year in Charlotte, and the last three years [when it was] in Raleigh."
Largest number of people at one event: 3,000
Target market: "Anyone who wants to have fun. [laughs] I try to target upper 20s to 30s, 40s. They're cool, open-minded people. I base a lot of my events on music. That being said, I may use DJs that people don't know about or who don't come to this area. This year, I got Don Cannon, who produces a lot of stuff for Jeezy. I try to get DJs that have good ears and not just play the typical stuff on the radio. You'd be surprised how many people ask me who's going to be deejaying. Some people really look at the talent."
Party Recommendation: "Wherever Jazzy Jeff is. He's, in my opinion, the best DJ in the world. He's very versatile with his music. He knows what to play at any given time, whether it's old school or new stuff. At a previous event, he incorporated a lot of '90s rock, like Nirvana, Pearl Jam — stuff that urban folks recognize — into his set."
For more information, visit www.thesolkitchen.com.
• Kitchapalooza: The Tournament Edition 2013. Weekly party Pop Life expands into two buildings, one alley and five DJs. Free admission. Feb. 27, 9 p.m.-2 a.m. Held at Phoenix and RE:Public at District 300, corner of Sixth and North College streets.
• DJ Irie, "The Life Of The Party." Free admission. Feb. 28, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. RE:Public, 314 N. College St.
• Showtime aka Suite Life V. With DJ Clue Feb. 28, 10 p.m.-2 a.m. Suite, 210 E. Trade St.
• Mayhem. A 14-hour nonstop party with music by DJ Paradime, DJ Ngenius, DJ Danny Dee and DJ LS One. Food will be available. $25 and up. March 1, 12 p.m.-2 a.m. Cosmos Cafe, 300 N. College St.
• JetSet IV: The Day Party. With DJ B-Lord. $20 and up. March 1, 12 p.m.-6 p.m. Studio Movie Grill, 210 E. Trade St.
• Shay Johnson from Love & Hip Hop Atlanta. With DJ Infamous (Ludacris' Tour DJ, Ciroc Boyz) March 1, 9 p.m.-2 a.m. Studio Movie Grill, 210 E. Trade St.
• The Ultimate Day Party. Featuring Trey Songz and hosted by Kenny Burns. Music by DJ 360 and DJ LS One. $30 and up. March 2, 12 p.m.-6 p.m. Studio Movie Grill, 210 E. Trade St.
• The Snack Pack. With GiGi Maguire and music by DJ Princess Cut. $20 and up. March 2, 12 p.m.-6 p.m. Uptown Cabaret, 108 E. Morehead St.
• The LOL: The Legends On Legends Day Party. Hosted by Lorenzo "Ice Tea" Thomas with music by DJ Darryl Krush and SGL Productions and DJ Jazzy Jeff. $25 and up. March 2, 12 p.m.-5:30 p.m. Amos' Southend, 1423 S. Tryon St.
• Overtime. Featuring music from Miami DJ LS-One and DJ All Night. $15 and up. March 2, 10 p.m.-2 a.m. Howl at the Moon, 210 E. Trade St.
• Saturday Night Live. With producer/DJ Don Cannon. $20 and up. March 2, 9 p.m.-2 a.m. Studio Movie Grill (formerly Mez), 210 E. Trade St.
RETURN to main story