Pin It
Submit to Reddit

Bizarre crimes from Charlotte police files (April 11) 

Anonymous Alcoholic: Police went to a Food Lion on Albemarle Road last week for what they believed to be a routine alarm call. They met with the store's manager, who had already checked the security cameras. The manager told officers that he watched a man on the video break into the front of the store, grab a case of beer and walk out the rear exit. When police attempted to search for the man, they quickly found him walking down the street behind the Walmart in the same shopping center. The man was in no hurry and apparently was still holding the case of beer, with one open can in his hand.

Space Invader: A 59-year-old man filed a police report after realizing that a man he had been trying to help had robbed him. He told officers that the suspect was staying in his home "until he got back on his feet." One day, the victim came home to find the man had apparently gotten back on his feet and left, taking with him three video games worth $150 and leaving behind a smashed cell phone.

The irony: Police arrested a man last week after he decided to rob the wrong gas station at the wrong time. The report states that Charlotte police and Alcohol Enforcement officers were investigating the KT Express Mart to determine whether the store was selling alcohol to minors. The team was watching the store when they saw a man get out of his car, look around and then put a pistol into his waistband. He was quickly arrested.

Machete madness: Police were patrolling an area off Tuckaseegee Road last week after receiving reports that a man was walking around with a machete. They spotted him and tried to make contact with him, but he pulled away from the officers and began to run. As he got a short distance from the officers, he pulled the machete from the waistband of his shorts. Luckily, he did not chop any important limbs off in the ordeal.

Nightmare: A 26-year-old man had a scare last week when he nodded off in an EpiCentre bathroom. The victim fell asleep in a stall on the third floor some time before closing. He apparently had no friends looking for him, because after 2 a.m., an employee locked the door and went home. The victim woke up at 6 a.m. and began knocking at the door. A security officer heard him and told him that the security team did not have a key for the door. After attempting to contact someone who might have a key, the security guard told the man he was going to find a crowbar. That mission also failed, so the fire department was called and made a forced entry into the bathroom, rescuing a very embarrassed man.

Blotter items are chosen from the files of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.

Pin It
Submit to Reddit


Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

Creative Loafing encourages a healthy discussion on its website from all sides of the conversation, but we reserve the right to delete any comments that detract from that. Violence, racism and personal attacks that go beyond the pale will not be tolerated.

Search Events
items in Creative Loafing Charlotte More in Creative Loafing Charlotte pool

© 2018 Womack Newspapers, Inc.
Powered by Foundation