It may have rained on NASCAR’s parade, but there was much to be seen on the scene when the NASCARnival came to its hometown.
* Pretty much every driver was at the O.A.R. concert and/or Pit Crew Challenge prior to the All Star race. I actually saw Brian Vickers, Kasey Khane, Michael Waltrip, Denny Hamlin and Dale Jr.’s right-hand man JR Rhodes.
* Meanwhile O.A.R was straight chillin' up at the Rusty Rudder the Tuesday before the show with their fellow Ohio State alum, Panther alum Drew Carter.
* Party with a Politician: Pat McCrory was both at the 600 and backstage at the O.A.R. concert.
* Panther DeAngelo Williams was at the Red Bull suite at the race (you know, the giant infrastructure with a DJ between turns two and three). As was Scott Speed …
You can learn a lot about Scott Speed in his interview with 3 Wide Life. Trust me when I say there was a lot of stuff that didn’t make the cut considering it’s an educational program – such as his incisive make-out session with his fiancée.
* Michael Waltrip is, well, a trip. He acted as a backup dancer for the Lost Trailers on WSOC’s Redneck Yacht Club, which was followed by a contest to see who could put their foot behind their head the furthest, at the dinner table, at Red Rocks … where there’s a new menu item — the Brittney Cason Sweet Tea Mojito. (Thanks Ron! ... and Congrats to Michael for winning the contest!)
* A Dessert Storm Veteran at a tailgate at the Coca-Cola 600 insisted Brotha Fred try his “Chicken Balls.” I partook of one of his cherries ... soaked in Moonshine.
* Oh, and Ric Flair went from Piedmont Town Center After Five to my hometown., Harrisonburg, Va., and Peyton Manning was at Blair Acres on South Boulevard following his tee time with Tiger Woods at the Quail Hollow Championship
* Meanwhile, in the elevator of my building I saw my new neighbor ... Denny Hamlin.
Followed by Monday Funday at Dixie’s where he was with Jay “Motha Fucking” White
And there’s a lot to see on the NASCAR scene ... like a guy with the number 88 shaved into his back or a pregnant woman in a bikini with 24 painted on her belly, and someone wearing a confederate flag cape.
And then there’s Lowe's Motor Speedway celebrities Couch Man and Beer Man.